The Canadian National Railways Mainline and Highway 15 pass through the village of Lestock.
Major nearby cities include: Melville (1 hr), Yorkton (1.5 hrs), Regina (1.5 hrs), Saskatoon (2.5 hrs)
We are also near the resort town of Fort Qu'Appelle (30 min.), and the smaller centers of Raymore (30 min), and Wadena and Wynyard which are both 1 hour away.
The area is characterized by gentle rolling hills, native grasslands and poplar bluffs.
Mayor - Ed Mostad
Councillors: Dawn Patenaude, Ci-Ci Windigo, Kelly Komodowski, & Marjorie Murdock
Administrator: Edith Goddard
Village Office hours:
- Monday: CLOSED
- Tuesday: 4:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
- Wedneday: CLOSED
- Thursday: 4:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
- Friday: CLOSED
Phone: 306 274 2277
Fax: 306 274 2275
The Village of Lestock began as a Hudson Bay Trading Post. Settlers mainly from Ontario, central Europe, the British Isles and Hungary arrived in 1905 and 1906 and homesteads were taken up in the area. The mainline railroad reached Lestock in 1908.
It was named Lestock after the middle name of surveyor 'Reid', even though at one time it was called 'Mostyn', in keeping with the 'alphabetical line' that followed the CN railway.The Village was originally surrounded by the Muskowekwan Indian Reserve until in 1928 when the land for the Village was purchased.
The first businesses included Myles Boivin's Blacksmith Shop, Mrs. Lajemodierre's Boarding House and a Post Office.
Economy & Community Businesses
The area is mainly sustained by agriculture consisting of grain farms and cattle. The following business services are offered:
*Cornerstone Credit Union - Branch permanently closed
*Lestock Motors -530 Arpad Avenue - 306-274-2242
*Lestock Co-operative Grocery Store - 306-274-2155
*Viterra Ag - Box 29 - 306-274-2145
*Vass Farm Supply - 306-274-2133
*Link Electric - 306-274-4908
*Canada Post - 300 Millersdale Street - 306-274-2202
Other Community Services
- Health Care - St. Josephs Integrated Care Centre (Hospital) --Nurse Practitioner 3 days a week, Doctor once a week. Offers long term care, respite and adult day care services, Community services, Podiatry services, Day Wellness programs and Physiotherapy. Home Care - services situated in St Joseph's Integrated Care Centre
- Touchwood EMS - Office 315 Millersdale Street - Phone 306 274-2252 Touchwood EMS, based in Lestock provides a Basic Life Support service and some Advanced Life Support service. The service answers approximately 700 calls each year.
- Worship- Mary Queen of All Hearts R.C. Church -Sunday Mass, serving Lestock & Native Ministry Shrine - Devotion to Mary Queen of All Hearts- Erected in 1955. Pilgrimage last Sunday of July
- Community Hall - The heart of the community. The Lestock Hall is the gathering place for all special events.
- Lestock Housing Authority - Heritage Villa -6 Senior suites - 7 low income family housing suites
- Family Resource Centre- Dedicated to the family and the enhancement of family life. The Community Family Resource Centre is a non-profit organization. The Centre is a place that offers information, support and education to all members of the community. The Community Family Resource Centre in partnership with Carlton Trail Regional College operates 6 high speed computers for the General Public's use. The Community Family Resource Centre celebrated their 35th Anniversary October 2010.
- Volunteer Fire Department
- Education - students are bussed to Kelliher School (20 minutes)
- Public Library -320 Touchwood Hills Avenue
Open: Tuesdays & Thursdays -4:00pm to 7:00pm
*Lestock & District Recreation Board- Established in 1969 to manage the Communty Hall and Arena. The Recreation Board works endlessly fund raising to continue the operation of the Community Hall and Arena.
*Lestock Rodeo Committee
*Lestock & District 4-H Club
Close proximity to Fort Qu'Appelle and the Calling Lakes offers boating, camping in the summer and skiing in the winter months
Statistics Canada Community Profiles offers further information on the Village of Lestock
Thank you for visiting us online. We are pleased to have you visit and we hope you will gain insight into our community. Please feel free to contact the Lestock Village office for further information.